The care of your health is a partnership between yourself and the primary health care team. The success of that partnership depends on an understanding of each other’s needs and co-operation between us.
Your rights as a patient
- To be registered with a practice, and see the doctor of your choice subject to availability.
- To be offered a health check on joining the practice for the first time.
- To receive emergency care.
- To request a routine health check if you are aged between 16 and 74 and have not been seen by a member of the primary care team within the last three years.
- To request a routine health check if you are 75 or over and have not been seen by a member of the primary care team within the last 12 months.
- To have appropriate drugs and medicines prescribed.
- To be referred to a consultant for specialist or second opinion if you and your GP agree this is desirable.
- To have access to your health records, subject to current legislation.
- To know that everyone working within the NHS has a legal duty to keep the contents of all medical records and personal information confidential.
- To receive a copy of your practice booklet, setting out the services provided.
- To receive a full and prompt reply to any complaints you make about NHS services.
- To receive details of where to obtain further information on local health services.
- To be treated with courtesy and respect at all times, irrespective of your ethnic origin, religious beliefs, personal attributes or the nature of your health problem.
Your responsibilities as a patient
- To treat our staff with respect and courtesy at all times, abusive or threatening behaviour towards our staff or other patients will not be tolerated.
- To keep your appointment and give us adequate notice of postponement or cancellation.
- To inform us of any change in your personal details, for example address, telephone number etc.
- To remember that following a healthy lifestyle and taking the advice and action recommended by your health care professional is likely to improve your health.